Many of us look forward to Christmas and New Year. Time away from work, quality time with our families and, more often than not, over indulging on all those amazing foods and treats.
Below we have devised a list of the hazards around for your pets at this time of year to hopefully prevent an unnecessary trip to see us!
This may sound a little obvious, but Christmas is the most likely time for your pet to eat something they shouldn’t. Baubles, tinsel, batteries and small toys are all risks for dogs and cats. Tinsel can have a cheese wire effect on the tongue and intestines, baubles can break into sharp shards and batteries are highly corrosive. Small toys can cause blockages and may need surgery to retrieve. Make sure your pet doesn’t have access to anything it shouldn’t have.
It may be tempting to share treats with our pets, however most Christmas fayre is laden with ingredients that can be dangerous or even fatal for our furry friends.
Normally butter basted, with high risk for pancreatitis in both cats and dogs. Stuffing can contain onions and garlic which are toxic to cats and dogs. Also there is a risk of foreign bodies with turkey bones.
Raisins and Sultanas
Highly toxic in any amounts especially in dogs. There is no known “safe” amount to feed, as each animal responds differently to them. Some may show no signs, others decline rapidly and can have permanent kidney damage. Make sure Christmas cakes, puddings etc. are stored away from pets.
A Christmas staple, whether wrapped under the tree or hanging from the boughs chocolate contains Theobromine which is highly toxic to pets. The higher the cocoa content, the greater the risks, so dark chocolate is especially high risk. Symptoms include, excessive panting, vomiting and diarrhoea, shaking and even seizures. If you are concerned at all, please contact us.
Fairy lights are very pretty and some people, myself included, go overboard on decking the halls. It is important to remember however that wires and Christmas tree lights can pose a strangulation or electrocution risk for your pets. This is especially true for kittens and puppies as they are inquisitive.
With Christmas comes the inclement weather and a whole host of toxic risks. Screenwash, antifreeze and engine coolant contains Ethelene Glycol, which can be ingested by cats and dogs as it sits in puddles on roads and driveways. It is of particular risk to cats as they cannot taste the toxin therefore making it an invisible danger.
Please ensure if you are using these products that any spills are rinsed away. If you have outdoor cats the signs to look for are vomiting, twitching, tremouring, seizures, off balance, weakness and collapse. If you suspect your pet has ingested Ethelene Glycol contact us immediately.
The hustle and bustle of Christmas can be very stressful for your pets. Family and friends coming and going, noise, Christmas crackers and party poppers, can escalate anxieties in pets. These anxieties can cause whimpering, barking, inappropriate urination or defecation, blood in urine and other odd behaviours which are unusual for your pet. There are natural remedies to keep the anxiety levels low in your home and ensure everyone has a great day.
Pet Remedy: a multi-pet spray or diffuser.
Feliway: a cat only spray or diffuser.
D.A.P: a dog only spray or diffuser.
You can also provide a safe space, open crate or bedroom for the pets to go to if some quiet time is needed.
Remember, we are a 24/7 hospital and are always here for you – even over the Christmas and New Year holidays!